Strategic Birthday Marketing Ideas
So… today is my birthday. It has me thinking of all the excitement and anticipation leading up to my birthday as a kid. Some years the birthday lived up to my expectations, others did not. I assume you might feel the same. So, I reflected on this and how we as brands (a business or a personal brand) can be better at exceeding the expectations of our clients and prospects on their special day. Today I share 20 ways for you to use to exceed expectations.
Utilizing online marketing to share a birthday wish has never been easier, however, many brands get it wrong! They focus on making it about themselves and not about the actual person having the birthday. Their wishes come across more as an ad rather than a special birthday wish. Be different from your competition and show how much you really value your clients by sharing a special birthday wish.
The first step is to decide what you want to give. Is it a simple happy birthday message to your clients and prospects? Is it an offer for a free item at your business? While a discount is nice, many people recognize this is just a ploy for them to spend money with you and is more of an ad than a sincere happy birthday wish. Even if your product or service is expensive, think of how to add value without a purchase (I share one below), to really make your client feel special. It’s OK if your offer to valued customers is different than to prospects. Now that you have your “gift” it’s time to give it.
Here are 20 ways to give your birthday gift online:
- Send a special email with your “gift” attached.
- Create SMS (Text Message) with your “gift”.
- Post your “gift” on your customer’s social media pages.
- Tweet your “gift” directly to your customer.
- Create a Facebook Ad that goes out to your customers one week before their birthday. (You can even send it to your competition’s customers.)
- Share your “gift” in a special message on your social media pages.
- Use location-based services to share your “gift”.
- Create a personalized selfie-style video and include your “gift”. (Email or post it to social accounts.)
- Annually create a generic happy birthday office video. Share this via email or on social sites.
- Create an exclusive monthly customers birthday party both online & off.
- Create a fun press release with your “gift” to highlight your special customer.
- Use the “who like” search feature on Facebook to find your clients who like a certain celebrity and on the celebrity’s birthday share your “gift” with those who like them.
- Change your social media backgrounds to highlight the special day for your customer.
- Make a donation to a charity in your customer’s name. Share this on your social channels and in an email.
- Send an e-card with your “gift”.
- Offer a virtual gift like an e-book. (Can be one you’ve written or one you know is of value to your customer.)
- Take a photo with every customer and on their special day either mail them a card with that image and your “gift”, share it on social media or email them.
- Give your customers your “gift” via your loyalty card/program.
- Use your social media pages to not only wish your customer a happy birthday but to highlight their business. Make sure to link to their business social page or website.
- If your customers pay for a recurring monthly service, send them an email that in honor of their special day you have given them a discount off their regular service. (This is one way to offer a discount without asking for a new sale.)
I hope this gives you some great ideas to plan how you will say thank you to your loyal customers and welcome to your prospects on their special day. Please leave a comment on how you make it a happy birthday for your customers.